Wednesday, May 13, 2015

Organizing Your Classroom

Good morning!


It has been too long since I have written here. So much has happened but I shall not bore you with that!

I wanted to talk about the importance of setting up the classroom environment. Yes, behavior management is key. However, you cannot control your kiddos with chaos around.

I find that organizing the classroom with defined areas has made a huge difference. Yes this might not be the most innovative news. Sometimes, you need an outsiders perspective to make that "ah-ha!" moment happen.

Our principal did a walk around to each classroom to make suggestions. With her new eyes, I was able to make small changes that have profoundly changed the flow and energy in my classroom.

Some veteran teachers feel that when a principal comes and asks to make some changes that its a bad thing. As teachers, we need to remember that suggestions do not mean we are failing as teachers. It simply is a way to freshen up and give new life to our rooms. After all, we spend so much time in our own room that we become accustomed to how to looks!

Literacy

Here is our Literacy Center. I have cork board to easily display kids' work. I also have my Common Core "I Can" statements. [I have a 4th/5th Combo so I have 2 statements up]


Here is our reading area with our Literacy notebooks and writing prompts. I display their work so they know others will read it! They have to try their best!







Math



Another area I wanted to share was our Math Corner. Whiteboard and the wall above it is where I hang the anchor charts WITH the "I Can" underneath it. Another teacher gave me that idea and our principal LOVED it!




We also have a bookcase with our math materials. It includes manipulatives, the textbooks, and the students' math notebook. I love having everything together. It makes it so easy to clean up!





That's all for now! My next post, I will share the classroom arrangement! I love the way the tables are set up!

Sincerely,

Crystal The Teacher

No comments:

Post a Comment